Thursday, July 2, 2009

What kind of cake do you make for a plumber?

A toilet cake of course!



In my defense it was Kenneth's idea... and since his dad was the plumber in question... yeah... okay...

The cake was chocolate and white chocolate and all buttercream yummyness... and 3 toothpicks and a dowel rod...

Warning! This chocolate cake recipe is totally addicting... totally... even if you don't like chocolate cake, you will not be able to stop eating this... I kid you not.

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake



1 3/4 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Butter
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs ... they're camera shy...
3 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate, melted and cooled OR 3 Tbs. Unsweetened Cocoa and 1 Tbs. Coconut oil (or oil of your choice... but trust me... organic coconut oil in chocolate cake is amazingness defined...)
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1 C. Cold Water

Ignore the Baking Powder... I was confused... hehe

Okay. So preheat your oven to 350* Grease and flour two 8 in. pans or make a double batch and way overstuff a 13x7... I like Wilton's cake release and Pam's baking spray... because I'm lazy and can't really get the hang of the whole flour thing...



Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together...



Cream the butter until light and fluffy...



That looks seriously fluffy...



Add sugar and vanilla and continue to cream until it is very fluffy...



VERY fluffy...

Adding the eggs one at a time, mix on high speed until the mixture is well combined...

Slowly mix in the chocolate and sour cream...



Or just dump all the chocolate in there at once... hehe... sorry... I can't follow directions... it's beyond me...



Pretty...

Alternately add the water and the flour mixture in small amounts until just mixed...

Pour into the prepared baking pans...



I really like to overfill the pan... it makes me feel dangerous...

Or maybe I wanted a taller cake... but at any rate... it probably was not the best idea in the world...



As I ended up with a flaming oven... see the baking soda? Hehe...



You totally have to have a dog laying in the middle of the kitchen floor... the cake just will not turn out right unless you are constantly stepping on and tripping over a lazy canine... aren't Bre's sandals pretty? I love green...

Okay... I stopped taking pictures for a while because I got busy making the cake balls. Basically I cut and stacked and dowel rodded the cake into a sort of toilet shape... it's not a true toilet shape because I don't have the skill required to engineer that kind of edible feat... so I made a toilet-ish shape and Bre iced and smoothed it...



She did a fabulous job... don't you think?

We made a thicker buttercream for the seat and details. I painted the flusher knob thingie with edible silver stuff...



And Trav insisted we put some poo in it... so I plopped some chocolate wafers in the toilet, took a picture... and ate them... best poo ever... yum...

Anyone hungry?

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake recipe

2 comments:

  1. you're hilarious! too bad I don't know any plumbers, Although knowing my husband, he'd love a toilet cake with poo in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally have to have a dog laying in the middle of the kitchen floor....the cake just will not turn out right unless you are constantly stepping on and tripping over a lazy canine.

    Until now I had no idea that my dog was actively participating in the deliciousness of my cake. I guess I owe him some ear scratches.

    Oh and Prince thanks you for pointing out the error of my ways.

    ReplyDelete